Piqua Baptist Church has a long history in the city of Piqua Ohio.
Piqua Baptist Church was founded in August, 1811, when 13 men and 13 women gathered in a stone house formerly known as the Hilliard House. Piqua Baptist Church was organized April 26, 1911, when members of First Baptist and Calvary Baptist united the two churches. There were 297 charter members. A year later, the foundation was laid for the church building on the corner of Broadway and Greene Streets.
The flood of 1913 halted construction as the church turned its attention and energies to helping those who had suffered, and in some instances lost their homes in the flood.
The church cornerstone was laid May 16, 1915. The copper box contained numerous articles from the time, including the church history, coins in present circulation, photographs, newspapers, and names of officers. The church building was completed and dedicated in 1916, for a final cost of $45,000.
In 1960, a tract of land on West High Street was purchased for a future church building to accommodate the growing congregation.
In 1976, after some 60 years and six months in the church on Broadway, the Piqua Baptist congregation held its first service in the present church building at 1402 W. High St. Construction of the building was in two phases, the first an education wing and gymnasium and the second the sanctuary. Dedication was on May 18, 1980.
The 1915, dated cornerstone and the pipe organ were removed from the Broadway church building and taken to the West High Street location. The copper “time capsule” box was opened in 1976 and a proof coin set of that year was added to the original items, also with other small memorials. The box was soldered back inside the cornerstone, which is in the southeast corner of the new church building. The numerals “1915” are engraved in the facing south while the year “1976” faces to the east.
Piqua Baptist Church has gone through many changes over the years. Piqua Baptist Church is an independent church and we are not affiliated with any other church or denomination.